Did you know that there is no limit to how many times a piece of aluminum can be recycled and remade into something new and exciting? Unlike most of the materials we use every day, aluminum is one of the few considered truly sustainable. In a world suffering from overconsumption of natural resources, one would think that everyone would be recycling aluminum constantly. Unfortunately, they aren’t! Today, we answer the “Why should we recycle aluminum” question to inspire you to act.
Why Should We Recycle Aluminum?
Before we answer why should we recycle aluminum, let’s take a look at some startling facts to get a mental picture in place of what happens when we don’t recycle:
– More than 100 billion aluminum cans (just cans) are sold in the USA annually, but less than 50% are recycled.
– It is estimated that 1.5 million tons of aluminum cans are wasted each year globally.
– Aluminum cans represent 14.1% of the greenhouse gases associated with replacing an average ton of garbage with new products made from virgin materials.
– Aluminum smelting produces sulfur oxide and nitrogen oxide, two toxic gases key in smog and acid rain.
All of this waste occurs because people are unwilling to recycle their aluminum actively, and that was just facts about cans!
The Benefits of Recycling Aluminum
There is a long list of reasons to answer “why should we recycle aluminum,” but here are the top three.
1. Recycling is better than new production
As we demonstrated above, the process of mining, cleaning, and smelting new aluminum is extremely harmful to the environment. Fortunately, recycling aluminum is cheaper, faster, and more efficient than starting from scratch.
2. Extensive energy is saved by recycling
Recycling aluminum saves 90% to 95% of the energy needed to make new aluminum. Treehugger made the comparison that the energy it takes to replace all of the aluminum cans wasted annually in the USA alone is equivalent to 16 million barrels of oil, enough to keep a million cars on the road for a whole year. Alternatively, it could save enough electricity to power 1.4 million homes each year.
3. Aluminum recycling helps locally
Looking at the bigger picture can be overwhelming, so let’s bring this down to a local level. By recycling aluminum, you generate local jobs, bring money into your community, and create awareness for environmental protection.
Do the world and your local community a favor by consistently recycling your aluminum. Please review our list for more information on what you can recycle with us. Plus, we offer money in exchange for that precious aluminum! Got questions? Pay us a visit or call us at 972-423-3824 to learn more.